AMAZING TAP HANDLES!!!

About This Site

Welcome to Amazing Tap Handles - The Tap Handle Museum. Here you will find photos of the Museum's collection of beer taps, along with brewery info. Have a look around the Museum, and use the contact form in sidebar to leave me feedback about the site, talk about taps, or if you have a rare tap handle you'd like to sell to the Museum. I'd love to hear from you! Please, no inquires about buying taps - they're not for sale.

Copyright Legalities

Photos or tap descriptions used in this blog may not be misrepresented as your own. Photos may not be used for financial gain whatsoever, as the uniqueness of the photo would unfairly associate a seller's product and reputation with this site. Tap descriptions may be used word for word as long as this blog is cited as the source, and a link is provided to this site.

Brewery history may not be used for any reason without citing the blog post or original source from which it was taken, and providing a link to such.

Failure to follow the guidelines above is a violation of Copyright Law, which protects original works of ownership.

Tap Handle Blog Simple Search

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve Thoughts and Portland Cider Company Hard Cider

On this last day of 2013, I'm very happy that I completed over 150 posts for the year. It looked like I might not make it, but a late push helped me get there. That's almost 1 post every other day, which is probably the best I can do, but in 2014 I'd like to try to top that.

I have to admit I have a really terrible sweet tooth. What makes this a royal pain, besides consuming empty calories I don't need, is the fact that I'm hypoglycemic. My body has difficulty metabolizing simple sugars, and when I consume them, I suffer from headaches as well as digestive issues that don't need to be spoken of in detail. Drinking a glass of Mountain Dew, eating a piece of cake, or munching too much caramel corn causes me much suffering soon after eating such sugary sweets.



The reason I bring this up is because my sweet tooth extends to beers and other alcoholic drinks. I'm more partial to hard ciders, fruit beers and cream ales than I am to bitter IPAs, stouts, and porters. I'm calling my reviews of ales and ciders that I try "Reviews for the Sweet Tooth".

Last year you may recall this post where I consumed Mike's Hard Chocolate Cherry and loved it. This year when my dad stopped by for Christmas, he dropped off a couple of large bottles of Portland Cider Company Cider. I had never heard of Portland Cider Company - they've been around since fall of 2012, but there's no entry for them on ratebeer.com or Beer Advocate, and there's not a lot of info on the Portland Cider website. A few days ago I opened the "Kinda Dry" variety and gave it a try. Many people prefer dry cider to sweeter cider, but I'm not one of them. The Kinda Dry was not bad, but I didn't like it as much as Angry Orchard. I actually had trouble finishing it, but I did get it done.

I saved the "Sorta Sweet" variety for New Year's Eve, much to the delight of my sweet tooth. I wasn't disappointed. Sorta Sweet was my kind of cider, balancing sweetness with tartness, and was highly drinkable with the black eyed peas, ham, and honey cornbread dinner I eat every New Year's Eve to bring good luck for the next year. According to Portland Cider's website, they use a blend of Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Gala, Golden and Red Delicious apples. As a resident of Washington State (the "Apple State"), there are some great varieties of apples available in the area...Kelly even has his own orchard and cider press, so I know my apples. I've never been a fan of Jonagolds, Golden Delicious or Red Delicious - these are cheap, mushy textured apples that I feel lack in flavor. I applaud Portland Cider's use of Honeycrisp (my favorite apple, thank you University of Minnesota!), Granny Smith, and Gala. I think Pink Lady (also known as Cripps Pink) and Cameo apples would be better replacements, but they are more expensive.

Overall, Portland Cider Company's Sorta Sweet hard cider was a good drink to spend New Year's Eve with. Hope you all have a great 2014!

Portland Cider Company Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment