AMAZING TAP HANDLES!!!

About This Site

Welcome to Amazing Tap Handles - The Tap Handle Museum. Here you will find photos of the Museum's collection of beer taps, along with brewery info. Have a look around the Museum, and use the contact form in sidebar to leave me feedback about the site, talk about taps, or if you have a rare tap handle you'd like to sell to the Museum. I'd love to hear from you! Please, no inquires about buying taps - they're not for sale.

Copyright Legalities

Photos or tap descriptions used in this blog may not be misrepresented as your own. Photos may not be used for financial gain whatsoever, as the uniqueness of the photo would unfairly associate a seller's product and reputation with this site. Tap descriptions may be used word for word as long as this blog is cited as the source, and a link is provided to this site.

Brewery history may not be used for any reason without citing the blog post or original source from which it was taken, and providing a link to such.

Failure to follow the guidelines above is a violation of Copyright Law, which protects original works of ownership.

Tap Handle Blog Simple Search

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Museum Turns 3 Years Old, Part 3: Goals and Features

Last year I posted a list of goals I wanted to accomplish and features I wanted to add to the site. Click through to read about how I did in meeting those goals and features, and what I've got planned for the next year...

Here's the list I made last year of the goals I wanted to achieve, and what the results were:

Goal #1 - "Continue to grow the site. While the current number of page views aren't bad for a hobby blog that doesn't get posted to daily, those numbers could be better. I tripled them in one year; for the next year, I'd like to triple them again (at a minimum)."

This one was spot on, as site traffic tripled. I did a little more promoting than the previous year, but this achievement is mostly due to getting to the top of Google's search engine.

Goal #2 - "Maintain, or increase, the amount of taps purchased. This will largely be dependent upon my financial situation, but I have a feeling that will turn around this next year."

As my Part 1 post showed, I did increase my taps acquired from 132 in Year 2 to 186 in Year 3, an increase of 40%, so I met that goal as well despite a continuing poor financial situation.

Goal #3 - "Improved photography. I'd like to take high resolution photos of taps, from multiple angles, with a more professional look. This will be quite an undertaking, as I would need to re-photograph all existing taps."

I also met this goal, with higher resolution photos from multiple angles, using a nice backdrop. I didn't re-take all the old photos, as that will be a large and ongoing project.


Now here's the list of features I had planned on incorporating:

Feature #1 - "The first feature I'm going to tackle is an expansion of the Links section - I'll be removing the tap handle list and adding links to other great breweriana sites."

I did add the feature, but I didn't take it very far.

Feature #2 - "Second, if I can turn the financials around, I'd like to do some kind of contest or giveaways of excess taps that I acquire (some would even be specifically bought for this purpose)."

I haven't incorporated this yet, but I'll be giving away my first tap very soon.

Feature #3 - "Adding a graphic for each tap that contains a rarity rating."

Blogger just doesn't have the tools to make this easy...either that or I just don't know how. Instead I added text to indicate rarity.

Feature #4 - "Finally, I may be updating the overall appearance of the site to make it more readable and user-friendly."

I briefly flirted with black text on a white background, but most readers preferred the white text on black background so I switched it back.


On to my goals for the next year:
  • Double traffic for the next year. I think tripling traffic again might be reaching a bit.
  • Acquire more rare taps. This might mean I acquire a fewer number of taps, but I'd like to acquire "museum quality" pieces that are very rare or scarce, rather than focusing on quantity as I have been lately.
  • Re-take photos and re-write at least 33% of my older posts.

And the features I'd like to incorporate for next year:
  • Add more links to great sites.
  • Give away at least 1 tap per month.
  • Add the tap manufacturer's name to each profile (if I can find out who made it).
  • Present ideas on tap displays

No comments:

Post a Comment